Position Title: Communications Systems Engineer
Location: Arlington, VA
Position Requisition Number: RQN036
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
Applies and leads systems engineering and acquisition process disciplines for wireless communications systems (voice and data) including development, engineering, testing, and acquisition. Demonstrates deep knowledge and understanding of contemporary commercial and government wireless communications technology. Applies communications systems and RF expertise to plan, develop, and report on RF interference and propagation tests and interference mitigation techniques. Participates in campaign management processes for engineering, testing, and demonstration of communications technology.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 10 or more years’ experience with systems engineering, technology development or acquisition.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related
- Demonstrable knowledge in planning and executing systems engineering activities with a focus on wireless communications concepts.
- 5 or more years’ experience with wireless voice and data communications technologies
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Proven ability to establish objectives, formulate plans and processes, and implement solutions
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 15 or more years’ experience with systems engineering, acquisition processes and program management.
- Master of Science in Electrical, Systems, or related engineering discipline.
- Expert knowledge in communications systems including VHF, wireless networking, LTE and similar IP technologies.
- Record of innovation and creative problem solving.
- The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
Work with US Govt program managers and systems engineers to establish a technical baseline and prepare technology readiness estimates for wireless communications systems (voice and data).
- Provide technology analysis and review of technical concepts, white papers, and proposal for wireless communications systems.
- Participate in campaign management processes for engineering, testing, and demonstration of communications technology. Monitor wireless communications standards and technology developments and advise government customers.
- Develop wireless communications system architectures.
- Define and establish system interfaces and draft Interface Control documents.
- Develop functional and physical system descriptions.
- Promulgate system engineering standards and development standards to engineers and designers.
- Perform analysis of alternatives for proposed communication systems.
- Lead a systems engineering team in requirements development and document system and operational performance.
- Identify measurements and performance metrics consistent with operational requirements.
- Establish threshold and objective technical performance criteria.
- Develop functional performance specifications sufficient for government acquisition
- Assist government source selection personnel with technical evaluation of proposals.
- Investigate technology readiness and maturity for operational environments.
- Develop models and simulation tools to facilitate assessment of technologies in a variety of operating environments.
- Draft test plans and negotiate test criteria and schedules with customer(s).
- Participate in test programs, collection of test data, and test evaluations.
- Develop technical plans and schedules for system engineering tasks.
- Prepare periodic technical reports, documents, plans, and briefings.
- Present analyses, engineering, and designs to customers.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, VA
Special Work Conditions: Periodic travel to Blacksburg, VA
Security: US Citizenship Required – TS/SCI Clearance
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.
Apply for this Position
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to upload a resume and cover letter (a single document is preferred). Please complete the application process by completing the web form below and follow the upload instructions that follow.
Your cover letter must include, but is not limited to, the following information:
1. Title of position sought and the Position Requisition Number listed in the announcement above
2. Contact information: Full name, address, phone number and email address
3. Availability date
4. Whether or not you are a citizen of the United States (optional for positions that do not require a security clearance – see Security Requirements above)
5. Whether or not you hold a security clearance (and if so, what level/access and date of last investigation)
6. Current or last salary and desired salary
7. Education: College(s) attended / degrees earned (and overall GPA if less than three years since last graduation)
8. Please describe where/how you first heard of this position, e.g., Google search to our website, a friend, LinkedIn, professor’s referral, trade association ad, etc.
9. Why you feel you would be a good fit for VT-ARC as well as this specific position
10. Any additional comments you deem appropriate (optional)
11. Your signature
Please note: We accept .doc, .docx, & .pdf file formats.
Please do not submit password-protected/encrypted documents.
You may contact us at HR@vt-arc.org if you experience technical difficulties or have any questions. Processing time varies but you will be notified regarding the status of your application.