Position Title: IT Resources Manager
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Position Requisition Number: RQN038
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
The IT Resource Manager is a jack-of-all-trades that provides support for VT-ARC’s corporate and customer infrastructure. The IT Resource Manager is responsible for equipment maintenance and inventory, responding to technical support requests, provide orientation and training for computer hardware and software, and setup Audio/Video equipment for ad hoc meetings.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Configuration and maintenance of the company’s virtualization and server infrastructure, networking equipment, firewalls, telephony, and collaboration systems.
- Plan, implement, and test the company’s disaster recovery plan.
- Setup, configure, and maintain desktops, laptops, phones, mobile devices, and software.
- Create and remove user accounts, groups and group assignments.
- Respond to technical support requests and make appropriate documentation for work completed.
- Provide technical assistance to end users using both oral and written communication skills via phone, remote control software, e-mail, and in person as necessary.
- Maintain an accurate equipment inventory.
- Audit equipment and maintain regulatory compliance.
- Research new technologies and make recommendations to senior management.
- Provide orientation and training for computer hardware and software.
- Setup and maintain Audio/Video equipment.
- Setup and coordinate Audio/Video equipment for ad hoc meetings.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Installing and troubleshooting Windows operating systems.
- Windows Servers and Linux servers.
- On-Premise Microsoft Exchange and Postfix
- VMWare vCenter and Hyper-V clusters.
- iSCSI and NFS storage protocols.
- Windows desktop and application troubleshooting.
- Experience with Cisco IP Telephony systems including Call Manager, Unity, Jabber, and WebEx.
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP networking including DNS, DHCP, vLANs, and zone based firewalls.
- Strong understanding of web servers using IIS, Apache, Nginx, PHP, and Tomcat.
- Understanding of databases using MySQL, PostreSQL, and MS SQL.
- Managing Windows Active Directory and Group Policy.
- Familiar with Help Desk practices.
- Experience in setting up ad hoc Audio/Video meetings.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications sk
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team contributor with a mission focus and emphasis on service, integrity, and excellence.
- Experience with the following networking protocols: SIP, XMPP, Radius, LDAP, HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, SNMP, and Netflow.
- Cisco – this covers your switches, routers and phones. (CCNA or CCNP certification)
- Microsoft – Need engineer level not admin; This covers your desktop and servers (MCP or MCSE certification, note MOS does nothing for you)
- Linux – Covers several servers used on your environment
- SAN\NAS – Data Storage
- VMware – Covers your virtual servers
- Hyper-V – Covers you virtual servers
- Network Security engineer – Cover everything from perimeter (Firewalls and routers) to Endpoint security (Desktops)
- Management – keep track of HW & SW inventory, licenses, maintenance contracts, and support contracts. Service request (ticket) management, customer satisfaction and look for tends to identify a problem vs an issue.
- Basic web development skills and CMS experience.
- Powershell scripting.
- Experience with the following server applications: Nagios, Suricata (Snort), Bareos (Bacula), and RRDtool.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent professional experience in a related field.
- MCP, MCITP, MCSA, or MCSE
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia – this position does not qualify for long-term mobile/remote work or telework.
Special Work Conditions: Periodic travel to Blacksburg, Virginia. Possible travel to other CONUS locations. Occasional work outside of corporate core business hours.
Security: Applicant must be a U.S. citizen and hold or be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret U.S. Government Security Clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.
Apply for this Position
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to upload a resume and cover letter (a single document is preferred). Please complete the application process by completing the web form below and follow the upload instructions that follow.
Your cover letter must include, but is not limited to, the following information:
- Title of position sought and the Position Requisition Number listed in the announcement above
- Contact information: Full name, address, phone number and email address
- Availability date
- Whether or not you are a citizen of the United States (optional for positions that do not require a security clearance – see Security Requirements above)
- Whether or not you hold a security clearance (and if so, what level/access and date of last investigation)
- Current or last salary and desired salary
- Education: College(s) attended / degrees earned (and overall GPA if less than three years since last graduation)
- Please describe where/how you first heard of this position, e.g., Google search to our website, a friend, LinkedIn, professor’s referral, trade association ad, etc.
- Why you feel you would be a good fit for VT-ARC as well as this specific position
- Any additional comments you deem appropriate (optional)
- Your signature
Please note: We accept .doc, .docx, & .pdf file formats.
Please do not submit password-protected/encrypted documents.
You may contact us at HR@vt-arc.org if you experience technical difficulties or do not receive a receipt notification. Processing time varies but you will be notified regarding the status of your application.