Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Business Developer and Capture Manager
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Position Requisition Number: RQN042
This position requires a thoughtful, meticulous and charismatic business development professional with a deep understanding of both public and private sector business development and capture management. The ideal candidate possesses specific expertise relating to research and development, intellectual property, marketing, promotion, and sales of non-profit and university research-based products. Serving both VT-ARC and Virginia Tech National Region NCR, the Business Developer and Capture Manager plays a key role in developing new funding opportunities and converting them to realized revenue streams. This individual is responsible for successfully managing the VT-ARC corporate pipeline and coordinating synergistically with the broader VT enterprise. Reporting to the VT-ARC Director of Program Operations and Development, this individual works closely with the VT-ARC Senior Management Team, the VT Research and Innovation Senior Leadership, faculty and technical staff to aggressively position and market corporate and VT capabilities.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Advanced degree.
- 8+ years of experience in business development for research-focused organizations.
- Extensive understanding of federal government and private sector markets with an active network within each sector.
- Deep expertise in all aspects of the business capture process from strategy and development to proposal and award.
- Exceptional relationship management, interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Exceptional communication and negotiation skills.
- Compelling and engaging presenter and public speaker.
- Impeccable writing skills.
- Independent and critical thinker with strong project management skills.
- Computer literate with strong MS Office Suite skills.
- Proven record of capable business development and capture management with a history of successfully closing deals.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Specific successful capture management experience with a non-profit or other university affiliated research organization.
- Specific experience in National Security sector a plus.
The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Coordinates business development and capture activities for both VT-ARC and VT NCR.
- Leads business development strategy, prospect development and engagement for the same.
- Writes white papers and proposals.
- Tracks the corporate opportunity funnel and pipeline.
- Successfully converts funding opportunities to new revenue streams that fall within the corporate mission.
- Represents the Corporation at business development engagements.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia – this position does not qualify for long-term mobile/remote work or telework.
Special Work Conditions: Periodic travel to Blacksburg and around the NCR region. Possible travel to other CONUS and OCONUS locations. Occasional work outside of corporate core business hours.
Security: A Top Secret Clearance (active) with SCI eligibility strongly preferred.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.
Apply for this Position
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to upload a resume and cover letter (a single document is preferred) by selecting the [APPLY NOW] button below and completing the upload instruction that follow.
Your cover letter must include, but is not limited to, the following information:
- Title of position sought and the Position Requisition Number listed in the announcement above
- Contact information: Full name, address, phone number and email address
- Availability date
- Whether or not you are a citizen of the United States (optional for positions that do not require a security clearance – see Security Requirements above)
- Whether or not you hold a security clearance (and if so, what level/access and date of last investigation)
- Current or last salary and desired salary
- Education: College(s) attended / degrees earned (and overall GPA if less than three years since last graduation)
- Please describe where/how you first heard of this position, e.g., Google search to our website, a friend, LinkedIn, professor’s referral, trade association ad, etc.
- Why you feel you would be a good fit for VT-ARC as well as this specific position
- Any additional comments you deem appropriate (optional)
- Your signature
Please note: We accept .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf and .txt file formats.
Please do not submit password-protected/encrypted documents.
The maximum allowed file size is 5MB.
You will receive automated notification that your documents have been received. You may contact us at HR@vt-arc.org if you experience technical difficulties or do not receive a receipt notification email. Processing time varies but you will be notified regarding the status of your application.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.