Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Data Scientist
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Position Requisition Number: RQN045
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
The Data Scientist performs a broad range of analyses (descriptive and predictive) on diverse datasets including big data and streaming data. Primary responsibilities include collecting, processing, and analyzing data and applying natural language processing, modeling and simulation, and machine learning techniques to characterize data trends and identify indicators of science and technology emergence to support U.S. government customers.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a data science, computer science or related discipline such as operations research, though any individual with the necessary skills and a passion for quantitative analysis is strongly encouraged to apply.
- Experience developing and using R, Python, SQL, and/or other language.
- Experience building statistical models, performing simulations, and applying various machine learning approaches.
- Must be comfortable applying state-of-the-art techniques to new problems and evaluating their effectiveness.
- Demonstrable critical and creative thinking abilities.
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team contributor with a mission focus and emphasis on service, integrity, and excellence.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Incumbent typically has 3-5 years of post-education experience.
- Experience accessing and retrieving from open source data repositories (e.g. using APIs, web scraping).
- Prior experience working within a fast-paced cross-discipline corporate environment.
- Record of innovation and creative problem solving with an entrepreneurial mindset.Duties
- The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Assist in the design, planning and execution of complex research projects to support science and technology analysis and forecasting.
- Collect and analyze large volumes of data and identify meaningful trends, extrapolations, or other patterns.
- Create visualizations summarizing the useful information derived from data.
- Research, develop, and write complex content for client reports.
- Communicate research findings via client presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
- Conduct technical reviews of reports and presentation material for structure, accuracy, consistency, and appropriateness of content.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia – this position does not qualify for long-term mobile/remote work or telework.
Special Work Conditions: Periodic travel to Blacksburg, Virginia. Possible travel to other CONUS locations. Occasional work outside of corporate core business hours.
Security: Minimum of SECRET clearance required for this position. Top Secret SCI strongly preferred.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.
Apply for this Position
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to upload a resume and cover letter (a single document is preferred) by selecting the [APPLY NOW] button below and completing the upload instruction that follow.
Your cover letter must include, but is not limited to, the following information:
- Title of position sought and the Position Requisition Number listed in the announcement above
- Contact information: Full name, address, phone number and email address
- Availability date
- Whether or not you are a citizen of the United States (optional for positions that do not require a security clearance – see Security Requirements above)
- Whether or not you hold a security clearance (and if so, what level/access and date of last investigation)
- Current or last salary and desired salary
- Education: College(s) attended / degrees earned (and overall GPA if less than three years since last graduation)
- Please describe where/how you first heard of this position, e.g., Google search to our website, a friend, LinkedIn, professor’s referral, trade association ad, etc.
- Why you feel you would be a good fit for VT-ARC as well as this specific position
- Any additional comments you deem appropriate (optional)
- Your signature
Please note: We accept .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf and .txt file formats.
Please do not submit password-protected/encrypted documents.
The maximum allowed file size is 5MB.