Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Project Manager
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Position Requisition Number: RQN046
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
The Project Manager (PM) will work closely with the U.S. Government customer to establish a vision and strategy for building relationships with stakeholders and commercial companies. Further, the PM will drive commercial engagement while also ensuring contract deliverables fall within the applicable scope and budget. Primary responsibilities include: acquiring detailed project requirements from the customer; planning and strategizing with the customer; identifying, prioritizing, and reaching out to relevant technology companies; developing comprehensive project plans to be shared with customers and VT-ARC staff; leading a team of 3-5 staff; coordinating across corporate divisions to ensure project resource compatibility; and tracking project performance to achieve short- and long-term goals.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a technical or related discipline though any individual with the necessary skills and a passion for technology transition/transfer is strongly encouraged to apply.
- Minimum of 12 years of project management experience including building strong relationships with U.S. Government customers and stakeholders.
- Self-starter with 5+ years of experience developing strategic and/or implementation plans.
- Demonstrable experience facilitating technology transition/transfer between the government and commercial organizations.
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Willingness to travel 1-2 days/week locally in the Washington Metro area, 1-2 days/month to Aberdeen, MD, and occasional U.S. travel (~1 trip/2 months).
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team contributor with a mission focus and emphasis on service, integrity, and excellence.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 20+ years of experience working with Department of Defense customers.
- Experience building strategic and implementation plans for U.S. Government customers.
- PMP certification.Duties
- The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Provide technical and administrative management of assigned projects.
- Develop a strategic plan for successfully identifying, engaging, and negotiating with technology transition/transfer partners.
- Manage a small team of analysts performing data analyses in support of the project.
- Engage customers, stakeholders, and technology companies to understand the needs, perspectives, and motivations of each.
- Working closely with the customer, develop metrics and track performance pertaining to the success of the project.
- Coordinate development of deliverables and products.
- Ensure quality assurance of project deliverables
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia – this position does not qualify for long-term mobile/remote work or telework.
Special Work Conditions: Occasional work outside of corporate core business hours.
Security: A security clearance highly desired, but not required for this position. Proof of U.S. citizenship is required.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.
Apply for this Position
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to upload a resume and cover letter (a single document is preferred) by selecting the [APPLY NOW] button below and completing the upload instruction that follow.
Your cover letter must include, but is not limited to, the following information:
- Title of position sought and the Position Requisition Number listed in the announcement above
- Contact information: Full name, address, phone number and email address
- Availability date
- Whether or not you are a citizen of the United States (optional for positions that do not require a security clearance – see Security Requirements above)
- Whether or not you hold a security clearance (and if so, what level/access and date of last investigation)
- Current or last salary and desired salary
- Education: College(s) attended / degrees earned (and overall GPA if less than three years since last graduation)
- Please describe where/how you first heard of this position, e.g., Google search to our website, a friend, LinkedIn, professor’s referral, trade association ad, etc.
- Why you feel you would be a good fit for VT-ARC as well as this specific position
- Any additional comments you deem appropriate (optional)
- Your signature
Please note: We accept .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf and .txt file formats.
Please do not submit password-protected/encrypted documents.
The maximum allowed file size is 5MB.