Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Project Manager
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Position Requisition Number: RQN047
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
Under the supervision of the division manager, the Project Manager (PM) will ensure project performance goals are met within the contract scope and schedule. Primary responsibilities include: acquiring detailed project requirements from the customer, developing comprehensive project plans, leading a team of 3-7 staff in the execution of the project plan, coordinating across corporate divisions to ensure project resourcing is compatible, and tracking project performance to achieve short- and long-term goals.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a technical or related discipline though any individual with the necessary skills and a passion for technology development and management is strongly encouraged to apply.
- Minimum of 6 years of project management experience including building strong relationships with U.S. Government customers and stakeholders.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience utilizing a project management application to monitor project progression and resources and coordinate tasking across staff.
- Experience designing studies, products, or other deliverables as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Experience building and managing teams composed of diverse skillsets.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a corporate team contributor with a mission focus and emphasis on service, integrity, and excellence.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 6-10 years of post-education experience.
- Experience working in or with the U.S. Department of Defense or other agency responsible for national security.
- Experience organizing or leading workshops and seminars, or facilitating discussions amongst diverse stakeholders.
- PMP certification.Duties
- The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Provide technical and administrative management of assigned projects.
- Lead project team by developing executable task plans, delegating task responsibilities, and maintaining accountability for task deliverables.
- Routinely engage customers and stakeholders to identify changes in requirements, project scope, or project status.
- Develop metrics and track performance pertaining to the success of the project.
- Coordinate development of deliverables and products.
- Ensure quality assurance of project deliverables.
- Communicate project status to supervisor on a regular basis.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia – this position does not qualify for long-term mobile/remote work or telework.
Special Work Conditions: Occasional work outside of corporate core business hours.
Security: Minimum of SECRET clearance required for this position. Top Secret SCI strongly preferred.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.
Apply for this Position
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to upload a resume and cover letter (a single document is preferred) by selecting the [APPLY NOW] button below and completing the upload instruction that follow.
Your cover letter must include, but is not limited to, the following information:
- Title of position sought and the Position Requisition Number listed in the announcement above
- Contact information: Full name, address, phone number and email address
- Availability date
- Whether or not you are a citizen of the United States (optional for positions that do not require a security clearance – see Security Requirements above)
- Whether or not you hold a security clearance (and if so, what level/access and date of last investigation)
- Current or last salary and desired salary
- Education: College(s) attended / degrees earned (and overall GPA if less than three years since last graduation)
- Please describe where/how you first heard of this position, e.g., Google search to our website, a friend, LinkedIn, professor’s referral, trade association ad, etc.
- Why you feel you would be a good fit for VT-ARC as well as this specific position
- Any additional comments you deem appropriate (optional)
- Your signature
Please note: We accept .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf and .txt file formats.
Please do not submit password-protected/encrypted documents.
The maximum allowed file size is 5MB.