Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Research Analyst
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Position Requisition Number: RQN048
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
The Research Analyst will perform thorough research and analyses on open source and customer-provided data to extract meaningful information in support of the customer’s mission goals. Primary responsibilities include collecting, processing, and analyzing technical data, searching and applying information from the primary scientific literature, developing clear visualizations of the data (graphs, tables, etc.), identifying emerging technologies, and composing clear and concise draft technical reports to support U.S. government customers.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the sciences or engineering, though any individual with the necessary skills and a passion for research and analysis is encouraged to apply.
- Experience conducting scientific literature research, compiling results, and drawing conclusions from the corpus of information.
- Experience searching major science and technology magazines, blogs, and other open source periodicals keeping abreast of the emergence and use of new technologies.
- Experience manipulating large datasets such as writing scripts/macros for spreadsheets.
- Demonstrable critical and creative thinking abilities.
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team contributor with a mission focus and emphasis on service, integrity, and excellence.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 3-5 years of post-education experience.
- Experience working in or with the U.S. Department of Defense or other agency responsible for national security.
- Experience conducting or assisting in original scientific research.
- Experience analyzing science, technology, and innovation using scientometrics or intellectual property analytics methodologies.
- Experience organizing or leading small groups in a structured environment (e.g. workshops, seminars, or journal clubs).
- Prior experience working within a fast-paced cross-discipline corporate environment.
- Record of innovation and creative problem solving with an entrepreneurial mindset.Duties
- The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Participate in the design, planning and execution of complex research projects to support science and technology analysis and forecasting.
- Conduct comprehensive research on select science and technology topics using openly available data sources.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of emerging technologies across scientific and engineering domains.
- Compile and interpret complex technical content for customers and stakeholders.
- Communicate research findings via draft technical reports using a variety of visualizations.
- Conduct technical reviews of reports and presentation material for structure, accuracy, consistency, and appropriateness of content.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia – this position does not qualify for long-term mobile/remote work or telework.
Special Work Conditions: Periodic travel to Blacksburg, Virginia. Possible travel to other CONUS locations. Occasional work outside of corporate core business hours.
Security: Minimum of SECRET clearance required for this position. Top Secret SCI strongly preferred.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.
Apply for this Position
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to upload a resume and cover letter (a single document is preferred) by selecting the [APPLY NOW] button below and completing the upload instruction that follow.
Your cover letter must include, but is not limited to, the following information:
- Title of position sought and the Position Requisition Number listed in the announcement above
- Contact information: Full name, address, phone number and email address
- Availability date
- Whether or not you are a citizen of the United States (optional for positions that do not require a security clearance – see Security Requirements above)
- Whether or not you hold a security clearance (and if so, what level/access and date of last investigation)
- Current or last salary and desired salary
- Education: College(s) attended / degrees earned (and overall GPA if less than three years since last graduation)
- Please describe where/how you first heard of this position, e.g., Google search to our website, a friend, LinkedIn, professor’s referral, trade association ad, etc.
- Why you feel you would be a good fit for VT-ARC as well as this specific position
- Any additional comments you deem appropriate (optional)
- Your signature
Please note: We accept .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf and .txt file formats.
Please do not submit password-protected/encrypted documents.
The maximum allowed file size is 5MB.