Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Senior Research Analyst
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Position Requisition Number: RQN049
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
The Senior Research Analyst will lead a small team of analysts performing research and analyses on existing and emerging technologies in support of the customer’s mission goals. Primary responsibilities include providing oversight and guidance to the analysis team, planning and directing the collection, processing, and analysis of technical data, conducting research and analyses using scientific literature and other open sources, and delivering clear and concise technical reports to support U.S. government customers.
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the sciences or engineering.
- Minimum of 9 years of experience working in or with the U.S. Department of Defense or other agency responsible for national security.
- Demonstrable experience conducting research and analysis and reporting out research findings.
- Experience utilizing qualitative and quantitative methods to process large and topically diverse datasets (e.g. cleaning/normalizing/filtering data, performing regression and other statistical analyses).
- Experience developing a research plan and leading a team of analysts.
- Demonstrable critical and creative thinking abilities.
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team contributor with a mission focus and emphasis on service, integrity, and excellence.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Experience with VBA, R or other to automate tasks.
- Experience analyzing science, technology, and innovation using scientometrics or intellectual property analytics methodologies.
- Experience organizing or leading small groups in a structured environment (e.g. workshops, seminars, or journal clubs).
- Prior experience working within a fast-paced cross-discipline corporate environment.
- Record of innovation and creative problem solving with an entrepreneurial mindset.Duties
- The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Participate in the design, planning and execution of complex research projects to support S&T analysis and forecasting.
- Lead the design, planning, and execution of research and analysis tasks.
- Conduct comprehensive research on S&T topics using openly available data sources.
- Identify and characterize emerging technologies across scientific and engineering domains.
- Compile and interpret complex technical content for customers and stakeholders.
- Communicate research findings via technical reports and presentations.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia – this position does not qualify for long-term mobile/remote work or telework.
Special Work Conditions: Periodic travel to Blacksburg, Virginia. Possible travel to other CONUS locations. Occasional work outside of corporate core business hours.
Security: Minimum of SECRET clearance required for this position. Top Secret SCI strongly preferred.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.
Apply for this Position
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to upload a resume and cover letter (a single document is preferred) by selecting the [APPLY NOW] button below and completing the upload instruction that follow.
Your cover letter must include, but is not limited to, the following information:
- Title of position sought and the Position Requisition Number listed in the announcement above
- Contact information: Full name, address, phone number and email address
- Availability date
- Whether or not you are a citizen of the United States (optional for positions that do not require a security clearance – see Security Requirements above)
- Whether or not you hold a security clearance (and if so, what level/access and date of last investigation)
- Current or last salary and desired salary
- Education: College(s) attended / degrees earned (and overall GPA if less than three years since last graduation)
- Please describe where/how you first heard of this position, e.g., Google search to our website, a friend, LinkedIn, professor’s referral, trade association ad, etc.
- Why you feel you would be a good fit for VT-ARC as well as this specific position
- Any additional comments you deem appropriate (optional)
- Your signature
Please note: We accept .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf and .txt file formats.
Please do not submit password-protected/encrypted documents.
The maximum allowed file size is 5MB.