Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Technology Transition & Transfer (T2) Strategist and Project Manager
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Position Requisition Number: RQN052
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
The Technology Transition & Transfer (T2) Strategist is responsible for a broad range of activities relating to technology transition and transfer, intellectual property management, technology commercialization, and small business financing and development, and project management. The primary responsibilities are planning and implementation of strategies to identify technologies relevant to clients’ needs and facilitate rapid transition of those technologies.
The duties of this position shall include, but are not limited to (and not listed in priority order):
Client T2 Opportunities:
- Develop outreach and engagement strategies for Government clients pursuing industry and academic collaboration and partnerships;
- Broker introductions and cultivate relationships between Government clients and T2 candidate organizations;
- Facilitate the establishment of technology agreements such as Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs), Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs), Data Use Agreements (DUAs), and Data Sharing Agreements (DSAs);
- Identify and pursue opportunities to support small business financing through various mechanism, such as the Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs on behalf of clients;
- Educate clients on the value of intellectual property, invention disclosures, and patents and develop strategies for their integration;
- Assess the potential for developing new intellectual property under client partnership agreements.
Corporate Commercialization Activities:
- Assist with identifying potential inventions derived from company research;
- Perform market research and identify corporate competition as well as collaboration or partnering opportunities;
- Formulate commercialization strategies derived from company intellectual property;
- Identify and pursue licensing and T2 opportunities on behalf of the company.
- Lead technical development teams to implement various T2 projects
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a technical or related discipline though any individual with the necessary skills and a passion for technology development and management is strongly encouraged to apply.
- Minimum of 8 combined years of experience working partnerships and collaboration with the Federal Government: a minimum of 3 years in technology transfer, transition, or licensing; a minimum of 2 years of experience with Small Business Administration programs; and 2 years of experience with technology agreements management.
- Demonstrated experience designing T2 strategies for government clients or private sector institutions.
- Able to work independently and in a fast-paced, high-volume work environment.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and team-building skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a corporate team contributor with a mission focus and emphasis on service, integrity, and excellence.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 10-15 years of post-education experience.
- Experience establishing and leading customer-stakeholder relationships.
- Course development and presentation experience covering T2 processes, agreements, and strategies;
- Experience working in or with the U.S. Department of Defense or other agency responsible for national security.
- DoD Top Secret security clearance with SCI eligibility.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia – this position does not qualify for long-term mobile/remote work or telework.
Special Work Conditions: Occasional work outside of corporate core business hours and some travel to Blacksburg, VA are required.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.
Apply for this Position
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to upload a resume and cover letter (a single document is preferred) by selecting the [APPLY NOW] button below and completing the upload instruction that follow.
Your cover letter must include, but is not limited to, the following information:
- Title of position sought and the Position Requisition Number listed in the announcement above
- Contact information: Full name, address, phone number and email address
- Availability date
- Whether or not you are a citizen of the United States (optional for positions that do not require a security clearance – see Security Requirements above)
- Whether or not you hold a security clearance (and if so, what level/access and date of last investigation)
- Current or last salary and desired salary
- Education: College(s) attended / degrees earned (and overall GPA if less than three years since last graduation)
- Please describe where/how you first heard of this position, e.g., Google search to our website, a friend, LinkedIn, professor’s referral, trade association ad, etc.
- Why you feel you would be a good fit for VT-ARC as well as this specific position
- Any additional comments you deem appropriate (optional)
- Your signature
Please note: We accept .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf and .txt file formats.
Please do not submit password-protected/encrypted documents.
The maximum allowed file size is 5MB.
You will receive automated notification that your documents have been received. You may contact us at HR@vt-arc.org if you experience technical difficulties or do not receive a receipt notification email. Processing time varies but you will be notified regarding the status of your application.