Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation Job Announcement
Position Title: Wireless/RF Test Engineer
Location: Arlington, Virginia or Blacksburg, Virginia
Position Requisition Number: RQN058
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation:
The Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) provides unique access to the broad and rich research enterprise found at Virginia Tech. VT-ARC forms multi-disciplinary teams to apply innovative solutions to the real-world problems that strain our social, political, industrial, and economic foundations. Specializing in the identification and use of fundamental research, VT-ARC performs contract R&D on larger scale problems and at technology readiness levels beyond those generally addressed by academia. VT-ARC combines significant technical expertise with program management skills to deliver robust solutions on schedule and on budget.
Wireless/RF Communications Test Engineer reports to the Wireless Communications Program Manager and will apply communications systems engineering and testing expertise to support spectrum sharing analysis. Demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of contemporary commercial and/or government wireless communications technology. Applies communications systems knowledge and RF testing expertise to plan, execute, and report on RF tests.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
The duties of this position shall include, but are not necessarily limited to (and not listed in priority order):
- Work with a group of engineers conducting RF performance and operation validation of cellular radios/software defined radios (SDR). It is desired that a Test Execution Engineer would have knowledge of using SDR to conduct RF testing.
- Work with commercial and government employees in planning and executing RF tests.
- Plan and execute RF tests, using SDR and/or hardware in the loop (HWIL), determining the effects on performance.
- Investigate and debug performance and operational issues, verifying fixes and improvements.
- Aid in development of test plans and procedures, collection of test data, and evaluation of tests.
- Prepare periodic technical reports, documents, plans, and briefings.
- Present analyses, engineering, and designs to team members.
- Involvement in cross-functional engineering discussions, looking at ways to improve testing and increase the likelihood of success in future designs.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related technical discipline.
- Knowledge of commercial wireless communications technology standards (e.g., 3GPP standards for 4G/LTE, CDMA2000, GPRS, EDGE, etc.).
- Technical understanding or experience with one or more of the following radio technologies, WiFi, Bluetooth, and other RF communications technologies.
- Ability to utilize sophisticated test hardware for experimental purposes, experience with RF test hardware, such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, etc. Competence with SW based analytical applications required.
- Proven analytic skills and the ability to establish objectives, formulate plans and processes, and implement solutions.
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team contributor with a mission focus and emphasis on service, integrity, and excellence.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and hold or be able to obtain and maintain a Secret U.S. Government Security Clearance.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related technical discipline.
- Knowledge of military and other wireless communications technology standards (e.g., DoD/NATO Tactical Radio standards, Land Mobile Radio standards, etc.).
- Working knowledge of commercial and government wireless/RF communication testbeds.
- Working knowledge of Software Defined Radios (SDR) for experimental purposes.
- Working knowledge of using hardware in the loop (HWIL) equipment to conduct RF testing.
- Experience with test automation and scripting.
Primary Work Location: Arlington, Virginia or Blacksburg, Virginia – this position does not qualify for long-term mobile/remote work or telework.
Special Work Conditions: Periodic travel to work at test ranges and other test locations in CONUS. Periodic travel between Arlington, VA and Blacksburg, VA. Occasional work outside of corporate core business hours.
Security: Applicant must be a U.S. citizen and hold or be able to obtain and maintain a Secret U.S. Government Security Clearance.
VT-ARC does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Apply for this Position
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to upload a resume and cover letter (a single document is preferred) by selecting the [APPLY NOW] button below and completing the upload instruction that follow.
Your cover letter must include, but is not limited to, the following information:
- Title of position sought and the Position Requisition Number listed in the announcement above
- Contact information: Full name, address, phone number and email address
- Availability date
- Whether or not you are a citizen of the United States (optional for positions that do not require a security clearance – see Security Requirements above)
- Whether or not you hold a security clearance (and if so, what level/access and date of last investigation)
- Current or last salary and desired salary
- Education: College(s) attended / degrees earned (and overall GPA if less than three years since last graduation)
- Please describe where/how you first heard of this position, e.g., Google search to our website, a friend, LinkedIn, professor’s referral, trade association ad, etc.
- Why you feel you would be a good fit for VT-ARC as well as this specific position
- Any additional comments you deem appropriate (optional)
- Your signature
Please note: We accept .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf and .txt file formats.
Please do not submit password-protected/encrypted documents.
The maximum allowed file size is 5MB.